Audit Your Current Digital Marketing Efforts (if any)
Before we discuss about creating your new digital marketing plan, let us do a simple audit of your past online marketing efforts (if you have any so far). Let us look at what has been done previously for your business on the Internet; for example your website, any social media network, blog, etc.
Let us be thorough, and evaluate your current online presence so that you can see where you are at. Only then can we create a good and effective digital marketing plan for you to know where you want your business to be, how successful you want your business to be, and what needs to be done to achieve that.
Assess Current Digital Marketing Checklist
Here is a checklist for you to assess your current internet marketing (if you have any):
- How do you currently market your company?
- How do you currently promote your online presence?
- Why are you thinking of putting a digital marketing in place?
- Have you spent any money on advertisements?
- Which media are these advertisements on?
- Are the advertisements on these media working?
- Have you used Pay-Per-Click ads in before?
- Do you have a business website?
- What techniques do you currently use to drive traffic to your website?
- How much are you spending each month to get that traffic?
- How many unique visitors does your business website get per month?
- How many enquiries do you get from those that visit your website?
- What percentage of revenue currently comes from leads generated by the Internet? And from which platform?
- How many sales/leads do you get per month from your website?
- What is the current value of your average sale? What is the average revenue per sale? What is the average profit per sale?
- How many current customers do you have?
- How many of these current customers bought your products and/or services?
- How often does a customer buy from you? (get full statistics and average)
- Do you regularly keep in touch with your customers? If yes, how do you do it? And how often?
- Is your business capable of exponential growth?
- Are your sales team trained?
- Does your sales team receive training regularly?
- What type of training does your sales team undergo?
The above checklist is just a guideline. You might think of more questions to help with the audit. By the end of this exercise, you should have a pretty good report card on the overall health of your current digital marketing plan. And you should know if it is working or not. Also, you will uncover some missing pieces as well as potential growth for your business.
Current Digital Marketing Plan Audit
It is also good to conduct an audit of your current digital marketing plan for each of your line (if you do have any):
- Do you use Email List Building on your website?
- Do you use Search Engine Optimization? Especially to be displayed on the first page of natural search results?
- Are you on any social media platform? Which ones?
- How often do you post on each social media platform?
- How many fans and followers do you have on each social media platform?
- What is the increase rate of fans and followers on each social media platform?
- Do you engage with your fans and followers on each social media platform? Do they engage with you?
- Do you do any form of advertising on these social media platforms?
- Do you target Local Business Results on Google?
- Have you registered your business with local online business directories?
- Do you use article marketing?
- Do you have a blog on your business website?
- How often do you post on the blog?
- Do you have people following your blog?
- Do people engage you on your blog?
- Do you have videos on your business website?
- Do you place videos on video sites such as Vimeo and YouTube to promote your business website?
- Do you use online Press Releases?
- Do you use Pay-Per-Click advertising?
- Do you test and track your website as well as all other digital platforms?
- Do you use online Classified Ads sites?
- Do you use online Local Forums?
- Do you use Audio Marketing on your site, and also syndicate the audio on other popular sites?
Most of the above checklist should be done for each of your product lines or services you carry. When the checklist items are in place, you will be more effective at marketing your business on the digital space.
If you are targeting different markets, do consider using different approaches to reach each market. While you may attract them to your business website, your emails, Pay-Per-Click campaign, landing pages, content on classified ads sites and local forums, online videos, online audios, articles and blogs should be tailored to each market accordingly.
This is the shortest of my blog posts so far. And I hope you enjoyed it just as much as the longer posts? Please write a comment and let me know your thoughts on this part 4, the rest of the How To Promote A Business Online series so far.